Best practiceHome LearningHow toMust learn

What Shouldn’t You Burn in Your Fireplace?


It is not always easy to determine what you should and should not light in your fireplace. Because smoke and gases are sent directly up the chimney, it would appear that everything that burns ought to be able to be placed directly within.

There are several objects that, if left in the home, might cause a fire or emit hazardous gas into the atmosphere of the area. The following is a list of the top ten things that should under no circumstances be burned in a fireplace. Some things should never be burned in a fireplace or wood stove

Wet Wood

Wet firewood, also known as firewood that has not been allowed to dry out, can contain as much as 45 percent water. When the wood is burned in a Rinnai gas fireplace, it creates more smoke than aged wood does, and this smoke can cause harmful creosote to start building up on the interior walls of your chimney. Additionally, damp wood does not provide the same amount of warmth in your home.

Christmas Trees and Wreaths

When you have a fireplace that burns wood, it might be tempting to chop up your living Christmas tree and throw it in the fireplace. In addition to the fact that the wood of the Christmas tree has not been properly seasoned, it also includes a significant amount of resin. These resins burn rapidly and can explode, which increases the likelihood that a chimney fire would break out.

Timber That Has Been Painted or Coated

When burned, the harmful compounds that are contained in painted or treated timber might be discharged into the air. These chemicals can not only harm you and the family, but they may also ruin the inside of your fireplace.

Paper in Any Form That Features Colourful Printing

When burnt, colourful print on paper, such as that used for wrapping presents, newspapers, milk cartons, and boxes, may produce fumes that are toxic, corrosive, or even cancer-causing.

Accelerants for Fires or Starters for Fires

Never use accelerants to assist start a fire, such as gasoline, kerosene, or grill starting fluid. These can quickly spread the fire and put you in danger. Accelerants and fire starters have the potential to heat your flames to extreme temperatures, both of which are hazardous to your chimney and flue.


It is not safe to burn any form of domestic plastic in a fireplace, including bubble wrap, plastic cups, or other plastic items. Plastics are responsible for the emission of a variety of hazardous compounds, some of which include hydrochloric acid, sulphur dioxide, carcinogens, and heavy metals. These pollutants are hazardous to both your health and the environment.


Even if the driftwood has dried out, it should not be burned since the process of burning it might produce salt, which would damage your chimney and flue if you did so. Keep in mind that the fuel that your fireplace was designed to accommodate will provide the finest results for its use. To fuel a wood-burning fireplace, you’ll need either dried, aged firewood or prefabricated fire logs in addition to pellets. Your house is in danger of being exposed to harmful fumes or having a chimney fire if you use any other sort of fuel.

Willian Tenney
the authorWillian Tenney